Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Healthy Carrot Cake?!?!?

I am ultimately a creature of habit.  Once I find something that I like, I tend to stick with it.  That's why I go through about a jar of peanut butter every two weeks and probably bought about 10 boxes of Whole Foods Peanut Butter Pows this year.  Hmm, I just reread that sentence, and I think that it says a little bit more about my own personal addictions than I intended it to...

Anyway, once I find something I like, I will usually just use/eat/wear it until I can't anymore.  This is exactly the fate that befell my favorite flip-flops a few weeks ago.  The strap simply broke.  So, what did I do?  If you answered wait until you got home and then begged your mom to help you find the same kind of flippys again, you would be correct.
Please ignore my gross feet.
Another thing that is quickly becoming a habit is my newfound favorite snack food, microwave protein muffins!  I found the original recipe for these on SmoothieGirlEatsToo.  And I have been making them in various different ways almost every day!  They have a ton of protein, are really filling, and they satisfy my almost insatiable sweet tooth.  Today, I made one that was carrot cake themed!

Microwave Carrot Cake Protein Muffin
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp crushed pineapple
1/2 cup eggbeaters all whites
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp splenda (or 1 packet)
2 tbsp shredded carrots
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
Nonstick cooking spray
1 tbsp Philadelphia whipped cream cheese

Take a soup or cereal bowl and coat the inside with nonstick cooking spray.  In the bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and splenda until combined.  Add the crushed pineapple, egg whites, shredded carrots and chopped walnuts and mix.  Place in the microwave and cook for approximately 3 minutes (may take a little less or a little more time depending on your microwave).  The muffin is done when the sides pull away from the bowl and the center is firm but rebounds when you touch it.  Invert the bowl over a paper plate and run a knife around the edges until the muffin releases from the bowl.  Top with cream cheese and eat!


I may have also drizzled a bit of honey over the top.  I have a serious sugar problem.  It tastes like carrot cake and it's good for you.  Since the lovely Ida was so impressed with the nutrition info on the last recipe I posted, I thought I would add it to this one too!
Nutrition without toppings
You can also experiment with different flavors by getting rid of the carrots and walnuts and switching the pineapple for yogurt, applesauce, or mashed banana (I may have another awesome idea planned for another blog post, but you'll just have to wait for it).    

So, what do you all think?  Any ideas for variations?  Am I a crazy person?  Do you like my toenail polish (purple polish and green flippys, best combo ever!)?

No comments:

Post a Comment